Get ready to fall in love with our Jam Crumb Bars. These delightful bars are a fusion of blueberry bliss, hearty oatmeal, and the nutty goodness of almonds. A scrumptious treat for any time of day!
The crumbly topping provides a crunchy and buttery texture, while the jam filling can be soft and slightly gooey. This contrast in textures makes them very satisfying to eat. These jam bars are highly versatile. You can use various types of jam or fruit preserves to create different flavor variations. Common choices include raspberry, strawberry, apricot, or even fig jam.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Oats: I'm using gluten-free quick oats. Rolled oats can be substituted with quick oats.
- Almond Meal: Almond meal can be replaced with almond flour, which has a finer texture. Alternatively, you can finely grind whole almonds in a food processor.
- Coconut Sugar: Coconut sugar provides a delightful nutty taste and texture to the jam bars. Brown sugar or granulated sugar can be used as a 1:1 substitute for coconut sugar in most recipes.
- Blueberry Jam: While I'm using blueberry jam, feel free to use your preferred fruit jam, such as strawberry, raspberry, apricot, or mango.
- Chia Seeds: Since this is an egg-free recipe, chia seeds are used to aid in binding the bars. Flax meal or poppy seeds can be alternatives if preferred.
- Slivered Almonds: Slivered almonds contribute to both texture and taste. If desired, you can use sliced or chopped almonds, or even walnuts, or other chopped nuts for a variety of flavors and textures.
How To Make Jam Crumb Bars
1: Prepare the Oat Almond Crumble
In a mixing bowl, combine the oats, almond meal, coconut sugar, baking powder, melted butter, and a pinch of salt. Mix them until they resemble a crumble-like mixture.
2: Create the Base
Line a loaf pan with butter paper for easy removal. Press two-thirds of the crumble mixture into the bottom of the pan. Bake this bottom layer in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes. This will give you a firm and slightly crispy base.
3: Add the Jam Layer
Once the base has baked, it's time to add the star of the show – blueberry Jam. Spread a generous layer of blueberry Jam on top of the baked base layer.
4: Finish with the Final Layer
After you've added the blueberry layer, sprinkle the top with chia seeds, slivered almonds, and the remaining crumble mixture. This step adds a delightful texture and flavor to your bars.
5: Bake to Perfection
Return the pan to the oven and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the blueberry layer starts to bubble.
6: Chill and Slice
Let the Blueberry jam crumble bars cool over the counter for 30 minutes. Chill them in the refrigerator for another 30 minutes or until they become wonderfully solid.
After they've set, remove the bars from the loaf pan using the butter paper as handles. Slice them into your desired portions and serve these delectable bars to enjoy the perfect blend of sweet and crunchy.
To store jam crumble bars, let them cool completely in the baking dish. Once cooled, cut them into individual bars for easier storage. Place the bars in an airtight container, a sheet of parchment paper between the layers to prevent the bars from sticking together. Refrigerate them for up to a week.
For long-term storage, consider freezing the bars. Wrap them individually or in layers with plastic wrap, and place them in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag.
For exciting variations on this recipe:
- Try different fruit preserves like strawberry or raspberry.
- Experiment with nuts - use walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts.
- Add spices or citrus zest for unique flavors.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut or drizzle chocolate for extra flair.
- Swap chia seeds for poppy seeds or sesame seeds.
- Lower the sugar content for a healthier option.
- Add a peanut butter or almond butter layer for richness.
- Infuse the crumble with lemon zest for a fresh twist.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
These crumb topped jam bars are
- Vegan and Gluten free
- A delightful blend of chewy, crispy, and jammy goodness
- Suitable for dessert, snack, or quick breakfast
- Easy-to-follow steps for quick and delicious preparation
- A favorite treat for any occasion!
More Vegan Breakfast Recipes
Love this Recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and, if you REALLY like this, consider leaving a comment with your thoughts!
Jam Crumb Bars
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a loaf pan with butter paper for easy removal.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the oats, almond meal, coconut sugar, baking powder, melted butter, and a pinch of salt. Mix them until they resemble a crumble-like mixture.
- Press two-thirds of the crumble mixture into the bottom of the pan. Bake this bottom layer in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes. This will give you a firm and slightly crispy base.
- Once the base has baked, it's time to add the star of the show – blueberry Jam. Spread a generous layer of blueberry Jam on top of the baked base layer.
- After you've added the blueberry layer, sprinkle the top with chia seeds, slivered almonds, and the remaining crumble mixture.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the blueberry layer starts to bubble.
- Once your Blueberry Almond Crumb Bars are out of the oven, they'll need some time to set. Chill them in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours until they become wonderfully solid.
- Select the appropriate baking pan size. A pan that is too large may result in thin bars, while a small one can make them too thick.
- Follow the recommended baking time in your recipe. Overbaking can result in dry bars, while underbaking can lead to a soggy bottom.
- When applying the crumble topping, make sure it's spread evenly across the jam layer for a consistent texture.