Surprise your taste buds with these flavorsome Veggie Tortilla Roll ups, quick to prepare, and just melts into your mouth. All the flavor, all the crunch, get them ready in just 10 minutes!
We, vegans, are always struggling to find healthier plant-based alternatives! And having a tortilla pinwheel on a vegan diet was never really a possibility for me, as it is usually made using cream cheese and other non-vegan ingredients in the filling of the pinwheel. So, I continued to find a perfect recipe for veggie pinwheels without the use of any of the animal source products.
Ingredients for Veggie Tortilla Roll ups
Here are the components that make up a Veggie Tortilla Roll ups
- The Spread
- The Veggies
As these are vegan pinwheels we need some dairy-free alternative as spread other than cream cheese. The very basic thing that you must have is a can of cannellini beans. These are white color beans packed in their liquid. We will slightly cook, season and mash these beans. They make a nice chunky spread that you can use to keep your tortilla together in a pinwheel.
The Toppings :
The veggies that I am going to use as toppings, include onion to add some crunch, beetroot for sweet crunch flavor, and avocado to add some extra creaminess. Let me tell you that these juicy and crunchy veggies go really well with the cannellini beans mixture. Later drizzle some vegan sour cream, this will not only help in binding but also add some extra flavor.
I am using gluten-free large tortillas to roll but you can use any of those available in the market. Make sure they are soft, easy to roll, and sturdy enough to hold the mixture. And always use fresh tortillas for this recipe.
How to Make Veggie Tortilla Rollups
Making these veggie pinwheels without cream cheese is not that difficult; anyone can put these ingredients together in the following given proportions and enjoy great taste and aroma. Here is how you can do it!
- First, wash, drain, and then sauté the canned beans with some oil. As you cook the beans, you can season them with salt, paprika and tamari sauce. This will add a mild tangy flavor to the filling.
- You need to keep the beans cooking and continue smashing the beans lightly with a wooden spoon until they are soft, mushy and sticky. Then allow the mixture to cool down.
- Spread this beans mixture in the tortilla and top it with avocado, onion, beetroot, and cilantro leaves. Add these filling in a proper layer so that your veggie pinwheels will show distinct colors inside the tortilla wraps. Drizzle some vegan sour cream on top, it is just optional you can leave it if you do not like the taste of sour cream.
- Then roll the tortillas tightly and wrap them in some paper wrap or cling wrap.
- Refrigerate for about an hour or two and then slice.
Making Ahead of Time
This is an excellent recipe that you can make ahead of time. You can make these veggie roll-ups a day in advance and keep them in the refrigerator. You need to simply slice and serve. They act as one of the best vegan cold appetizers.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
These veggie Tortilla Pinwheels make the best cold vegan appetizer for your parties and delicious side for dinners, you can also try CRISPY SMASHED POTATOES or CHILI GARLIC BRUSSELS SPROUTS to impress your nonvegans friends and family members all the time.
Veggie Tortilla Roll ups
- 1 Large Tortilla
- 2-3 Tbs Beetroot (chopped)
- 2-3 Tbs White onion (chopped)
- 1/2 Avocado Sliced
- 1 Tbs Cilantro (chopped)
- Vegan sour cream
Cannellini Beans Spread
- 1 Can Cannellini Beans
- 1 Tsp Oil
- To Taste Salt
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tbs Tamari Sauce/ Soy Sauce
- Wash and drain the cannellini beans with cold water.
- In a frying pan heat a teaspoon of oil and add beans in it. Cook while continuously stirring. Slightly mash the beans with wooden spoon.
- Add salt, paprika powder and Tamari sauce. Keep the beans cooking and continue smashing the beans lightly with a wooden spoon until they are soft, mushy and sticky. Set aside to cool down.
- Meanwhile chop beetroot and white slonion and slice avocado.
- Spread fried beans evenly over tortilla wrap. Place avocado slices, cilantro leaves, chopped beetroot and onions. Place in vertical lines to create a beautiful patter on pinwheels.
- Roll the tortilla wrap carefully to seal the filling inside. wrap it with some cling wrap or paper and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- For Serving slice the roll into 2 inches thick rollups.
- Enjoy veggie tortilla rollups with your favourite sauce,
- Use fresh tortilla wraps.
- Do not overfill the roll ups.
- you can use other veggies like cucumber, zucchini, carrots and so on.