Vegetables and rice are probably two of my favorite things to eat. I could seriously have them every day and never get bored. That's why I'm excited to share this recipe for spicy vegetable rice. It's the perfect quick and easy meal for any day of the week. And, best of all, it's loaded with flavor!
It is Gluten-free, Vegan, and is one of those super satisfying meals that I look forward to every time I make it.
For this recipe, I am using basmati rice as I love them because of their long grain and aroma. But you can make this with brown or wild rice if you want a healthier version.
- Oil: I am using canola oil. You can use any plant based oil.
- Fresh Vegetables: Onion, Peas, Bell peppers
- Garlic paste
- Herbs and Spices: Cumin seeds, Chili powder, Turmeric powder, Cinnamon stick, Dried chipotle pepper, Cloves, Salt
- Chickpeas: wash and drain the canned chickpeas.
- Rice: I am using basmati rice they make a perfact aromatic rice dish.
How to Make Spicy Vegetable Rice in Five Steps
Do you like getting creative in the kitchen? I do, and that's why I love this Spicy Vegetable Rice dish. It's easy to make, and you can customize it with your favorite veggies. Plus, it's a great way to get some extra veggies into your diet. Simply try these five simple steps and enjoy the feast.
- Sauté onion, garlic paste, and chopped green chilies, in oil.
- Add all seasoning, chickpeas, and peas and stir fry.
- Add water and bring to boil, next add rice and cook
- Once all the water is absorbed and rice are cooked, top it with sliced bell peppers and cover and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Toss gently and serve.
This recipe can be made with a variety of vegetables like
- Green beans
- Sweet peppers and more
- You can also try pinto beans or red beans instead of chickpeas.
Do you like getting creative in the kitchen? I do, and that's why I love this Spicy Veggie and rice dish. It's easy to make, and you can customize it with your favorite veggies. Plus, it's a great way to get some extra veggies into your diet.
This vegetable and rice dish would be the perfect thing to serve for a weekday quick dinner or make ahead for your weekly meal prep and refrigerate. Enjoy throughout the week as a dinner or leftover will make a great filling for your breakfast burritos.
Serving and Storage Tips
It's time for a mouth-watering spicy rice meal! This delicious recipe will make your day brighter. You can serve it with some Spinach salad or my Coriander Sauce to spice things up even more in the best way possible.
This recipe is perfect for weekly meal prep and it stays well in the fridge for up to 5-7 days. The best part is it can be frozen for up to 3 months if you want the convenience of not having to cook every week. You can freeze in small portions for up to 3 months.
More Vegan Rice Recipes
Spicy Vegetable Rice
- ¼ cup Oil
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 ½ tbs Garlic paste
- 2 small Green chilies
- 1 tbs Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Chili powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 whole Cinnamon stick
- 2 whole Dried chipotle pepper (optional)
- 2 Cloves
- 1 400g can Chickpeas
- 1 ½ cup Peas
- 1 ½ tbs Salt
- 4 cup Water
- 2 cup Rice
- 1 ½ cup Bell peppers
- Mint leaves
- Cashew nuts
- Begin by soaking the basmati rice in cold water for about an hour. Meanwhile, the rice is soaking, chop 1 medium size onion and slice bell peppers.
- Heat oil in a Wok or saucepan, add chopped onions and fry on medium heat.
- Once onion gets transparent add garlic paste, chopped green chilies, and cumin seeds. Sauté on a low flame and stir often for uniform frying.
- Add chili powder, turmeric powder, cinnamon stick, dried chipotle pepper, and cloves. Keep heat from low to medium and keep on stirring, Sauté for few seconds, don’t burn spices otherwise it will ruin the taste and color of rice.
- Next add chickpeas, peas, and salt and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes
- Pour water, cover with the lid and increase heat to high until the mixture reaches to boil.
- Drain the rice in a strainer and add it in boiling mixture, Give it a good gentle stir.
- Then reduce heat to a medium, cover, and set a timer for 15 minutes. Do not open the lid until the timer goes off. At this point, all liquid should be absorbed. you can tilt the pot to check.
- Turn off the heat, working quickly, scatter sliced bell peppers across the surface, put the lid back on.
- Let the rice rest for 10 minutes before removing the lid so the moisture can redistribute. this will help prevent mushy rice. Next, take a fork and toss it to separate the rice grains gently.
- Garnished with mint leaves, cashew nuts and some drops of lemon juice to take this rice dish to the next level.
If you try this recipe, leave a comment and show some love by rating it in stars. Do not forget to take a picture and tag us @getsetvegan on Instagram. We would love to see this.