Yellow Split Pea with Zucchini is a delicious Indian vegan and vegetarian curry. It’s easy to make, flavorful as well as high protein, which makes it a nutritious vegan dinner recipe. It is gluten-free, nut-free and soy-free.
What is Yellow Split Pea?
Yellow Split pea
Ingredients for yellow split pea with zucchini
- Legume: Yellow Split pea
- Vegetables: Zucchini, Onion, Tomato, green chilies, Garlic
- Seasoning and Spices: Mustard seed, Cumin seed, Salt, Chili powder, Turmeric powder.
How to Cook Yellow Split Peas:
- Cook yellow split peas al dente.
- Heat oil and sauté mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add onions and fry until translucent.
- Add garlic paste, tomato, and all spices. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Once soft, add zucchini and water. Cover and cook until soft.
- Next, add cooked split pea and let it simmer on low heat for 5 more minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve, with rice or
Video Recipe For Yellow Split Pea With Zucchini
What is the difference between green and yellow split peas?
Green and yellow are two varieties of a split pea. Apart from their colors, they are quite similar and can be used interchangeably in recipes. Their cooking time and nutritional content is the same. But yes, green split peas are slightly on the sweeter side, whereas yellow split peas are milder in taste.
How long does it take to cook yellow split peas?
Yellow split peas take around 20 minutes to cook and around 15 minutes to cook to al dente. They do not require the lengthy soaking time that other dried legumes need. But If you soak them for an hour before cooking it will speed up the cooking process. Cooking more than that will result in a more creamy and mushy texture that is great for soups and curries.
Can I substitute green split peas for yellow split peas?
Yes, you can, it changes the taste a bit, but you can use them interchangeably in recipes. Both have the same cooking time and nutritional content.
How much water do split peas need?
To cook split peas, we need a 4 to 1 ratio. That is 1 cup of split peas requires around 4 cups of water to cook. If you are draining the water later you can increase the water ratio.
You will like this recipe as it is,
- Quick and easy,
- & Delicious
YELLOW SPLIT PEA WITH ZUCCHINI
- 1 Cup Yellow split pea
- 4 Small Zucchini
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Medium Tomato
- ¼ Cup Oil
- ½ Tsp Mustard seed
- ½ Tsp Cumin seed
- 1 Tbs Garlic paste
- ½ Tbs Salt
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 Pcs Green Chilies
- Measure 1 cup of yellow split peas. Cover them with water and rinse the grains by rubbing them with your fingertips. The water will become cloudy, drain this water. Repeat three to four times until the water become clearer.
- Measure and pour 5 cups of water in a stockpot and add drained lentils. Bring them to boil over medium-high heat. You will see some foam arises, scoop it out and discard it.
- Boil them for 15 minutes or until soft but not mushy. These are cooked to al dente and drain.
- Prepare vegetables, slice onion, cut tomatoes in small cubes and cut zucchini in half and then slice. (check in the video)
- In another pan heat oil over the medium to low heat, add mustard seed and cumin seed. Fry until fragrant. (approximately 1 minute)
- Add onions and fry until translucent Next add garlic paste, tomatoes, chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt.
- Cover and cook for about 5 minutes on medium to high heat.
- Uncover and add sliced zucchini, Mix and add half a cup of water. Cover and let it simmer on low to medium heat for another 5 minutes or until zucchini gets soft and tender.
- Add in cooked yellow split pea and mix well.
- Add green chilies (slice them in half). Cover the pot and turn heat to slow and let it cook in its own steam for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander and serve with cooked rice or naan.
If you try this recipe, leave a comment and show some love by rating it in stars. Do not forget to take a picture and tag us @getsetvegan on Instagram. We would love to see this.