Buffalo Chickpea Sandwich is an extremely delicious, vegan, and gluten-free sandwich, which just takes 15 minutes to make. This chickpeas recipe is perfect with a spicy dip for breakfast, light lunch, or just in between!
Especially when you need to bite quickly, nothing beats a good sandwich. Opinions are divided about whether the toast should be toasted or not. But let’s be honest, a sandwich like this is only really tasty when it is crispy toasted. Even the sound of biting into it is pure enjoyment. And when the chickpeas pull softly, the lunch becomes perfect.
Buffalo Chickpeas in Toast has Never Been This Good
Chickpeas are one of my all-time favorites when it comes to healthy, plant-based cuisine:
- Healthy source of protein.
- Particularly rich in magnesium, iron, copper, and vitamin K.
- Contain essential amino acids.
From my point of view, the small peas are indispensable in the vegan kitchen. They are also a natural, inexpensive, and very high-quality source of protein. My tip for using chickpeas is to always wash them off thoroughly, otherwise the little protein bombs have their own taste.
Let’s go because it’s an easy to cook recipe!
What You’ll Need?
The list of ingredients is:
For buffalo chickpea filling
- Oil: It will be used for light frying of the mixture.
- Onion and Garlic: Chopped onion and garlic.
- Chickpeas: This is the main ingredient which is best for maintaining a healthy factor in your fast food.
- Sauces: If you’re a sauce lover like me then spice up your chickpeas filling with Chili sauce and BBQ sauce. It will bring the ever enchanting flavor to your sandwich.
- Seasoning: The basic seasoning is just salt and paprika powder, which will be used to drive flavor and traditional aroma to sandwich filling.
- Soy Yogurt: This will add extra creaminess.
- Artisan Bread: This bread suits best for sandwiches and brings perfect crunch when toasted slightly. But here you decide what your favorite is. I’ve mentioned some bread types in the tips section with which you can swap. Find the No-knead Artisan Bread recipe here.
- Mix Greens and Onions: A great way is to use up fresh greens and onions from your garden. I’ll make it more flavorful!
- Onion Slices: More of crunch and taste comes from these slices. They make it more nutritious.
- Vegan Mayo: A sandwich without mayo is a big no! So if you’re vegan like me then don’t worry, you can always use vegan mayo for mouthwatering taste.
How to Make Buffalo Chickpea Sandwich?
The three simple steps:
- Prepare the Filling: First of all, take small-sized onion and garlic and wash them. Finely chop both and mix them together. Take a separate pan to heat oil on a medium flame. Once it is heated fry onion and garlic until translucent for about two to three minutes. You’ll have a slight golden color. In the meanwhile take chickpeas, wash, drain and add them into the pan. While mixing mash chickpeas with a wooden spoon so that they achieve a perfect state for filling. Next add chili sauce, BBQ sauce, salt, paprika powder, and mix. This will take two more minutes to cook on medium heat. Add soy yogurt and mix. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Toast the bread: I prefer using vegan artisan bread. Toast it so that it is brown and crunchy. If you’re toasting on a pan, heat it on a medium flame and add little bit oil. Place the bread slices and once one slide is brown flip it to the other side and turn your heat from medium to low. You can also toast it in a toaster or in an oven.
- Assemble the sandwich & enjoy it! Spread vegan mayo onto the bread slices and top with some fresh greens of your choice. Scoop out the buffalo chickpea mixture onto the bread, top with some onion slices, and followed by the top piece of bread. Enjoy!
Watch How to Make It
Serving with Perfection
Serve with a dip! Of course, this fine sandwich is divine with a super delicious dip. Yum! If you don’t have time to make it, a ready-made sauce will also work. Everything is allowed here, from vegan mayo to ketchup to barbecue sauce.
Add a salad for more greens! A salad tastes very delicious with it, here you can also bring your imagination into play or simply use whatever can be found in the refrigerator. I really like coleslaw, young spinach, or a mixed leaf salad with it. Incidentally, sprouts or a handful of seeds are extremely good as a topping.
Storing and Packing
Parchment paper is ideal for packing sandwiches, and to take them with you on the go. In both cases, no moisture can penetrate. Even so, the paper lets enough air through so that they stay crispy.
For making ahead of time simply prepare the filling and store in the fridge. This will stay fresh for up to 3 days in an airtight jar. Simply toast your bread and assemble your sandwich whenever you need it. You can prepare the filling for your weekly meal prep too.
So whenever there is no desire to cook, your stomach growls and there is a yawning emptiness in the refrigerator but something has to be on the table, this super quick Buffalo Chickpea Sandwich is there to rescue!
Buffalo Chickpea Sandwich
Buffalo Chicpea Filling
- 1 Tsp Oil
- 1 small Onion (chopped)
- 1 Tsp Garlic (crushed)
- 1 Can Chickpeas (440g)
- 2 Tbs Chili Sauce
- 2 Tbs BBQ Sauce
- To Taste Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika Powder
- 1 Tbs Soy Yogurt
Assemble The Sandwich
- 4 Slices Artisan Bread
- Mix Greens
- Vegan Mayo
- Onion Slices
- Finely chop onion and crush fresh garlic.
- In a pan heat oil, On medium heat fry onion and garlic until translucent for about two to three minutes.
- Wash and drain chickpeas. Add chickpeas into the pan and mash them with a wooden spoon.
- Next add chili sauce, BBQ sauce, salt, paprika powder and mix. Cook on medium heat for about two more minutes.
- Add soy yogurt and mix. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Toast the bread. I am using vegan no knead artisan bread.
- Spread vegan mayo onto the bread slices and top with some fresh greens of your choice.
- Scoop out the buffalo chickpea mixture on to the bread, top with some onion slices and other piece of toasted bread.
- Add more flavor with Sauce: The easiest way to pimp a sandwich is to put sauce again between the slices. It can make the sandwich juicier and give it more flavor. Even the combination of cheese and pesto is terrific.
- Crunchy Sandwich: Toasted artisan bread, tastes, and smells ten times better and bring you with more crunch.
- Office lunch box: If you are taking it for lunch on a picnic, make sure to put the sauce on the sandwich shortly before consumption. Otherwise, it will be quite a squishy affair.
- Go for Salad: A small salad turns the chickpeas into a protein-rich and healthy meal.
If you try this recipe, leave a comment and show some love by rating it in stars. Do not forget to take a picture and tag us @getsetvegan on Instagram. We would love to see this.