Vegan Mushroom Enchiladas are full of Mexican comfort food flavors. This tasty Mexican meal is made with homemade enchiladas sauce, mushroom, bell pepper and creamy vegan cheese sauce. They’re easy, they’re cheesy, flavourful and tender.
Tender pieces of mushrooms and bell peppers are rolled in flour tortillas and topped with a homemade enchilada sauce. It is an easy casserole dish made to feed a crowd.
In this vegan enchilada’s recipe, I’ve used wheat tortillas but if you want to make this gluten-free swap them for corn tortillas. A very rich, creamy recipe which is surely not for the dieters out there. Cheese sauce adds a very nice creaminess and texture to the dish.
- 2 tbs Oil
- 2 tbs Flour
- 2 tbs Tomato paste
- 2 cups Water/Vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp Oregano
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 3 medium Potatoes
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 15 g Vegan Butter
- 4 tbs Nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp Apple cider Vinegar
- 1 tbs Oil
- 1 medium Onion
- 250 g Mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare enchilada sauce, Heat oil in a saucepan. Then whisk in the flour until combined and cook for a minute or so. Then add Tomato paste and stir. Add some water or vegetable stock and keep stirring. Gradually whisk in your sauce until most of the lumps have dissolved and the sauce is smooth.
- Now add remaining water and bring it to boil. Add seasoning and let it simmer for 2 to 3 minutes and its ready. You can refrigerate this sauce for a week or freeze for up to 3 months.
- For cheese sauce peel and cut potatoes in cubes and boil. Now in a blender add potatoes and some of their stock, seasoning, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, and vegan butter. Blend into a smooth paste.
- For enchiladas filling, in a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms and season it. Once Mushrooms and onions are
done add bell peppers and sauté for 3 more minutes. stirring occasionally. When bell peppers get tender remove pan from heat and set aside.
- To assemble the enchiladas, spread enchilada sauce on the dish. Spread two tablespoons of cheese sauce over the surface of the wheat tortilla. Add a generous spoonful of the mushroom bell pepper mixture in a line down the center of the tortilla. Roll up tortilla and place in the enchilada dish. Assemble the remaining enchiladas. Then spread remaining enchilada and cheese sauce evenly over the top of the enchiladas.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until the enchiladas are cooked through and the tortillas are slightly crispy on the outside. Remove pan from the oven and serve the enchiladas while they’re nice and warm.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and some more cheese sauce because who doesn't like cheesy enchiladas.